Sunday, December 20, 2009

Site available

We are in the process of moving back into our home in New Zealand after spending most of the last 21 years overseas. I am hoping to set up a small Ubuntu server there so I can host a few of my own small sites.

Meanwhile I have bought Freely-Given.org. It only has an ugly placeholder page at the moment, but I'm hoping to set up a site there. I want to research and evaluate free Biblical materials available on the Internet and for mobile devices, and to publish the links and my evaluations on the site. My particular special interests are tools for Bible translators along with original Scripture resources and English translations, but I'd also like to extend it to other modern languages and other Christian resources.

I envisage a site structured by type of resource and by language, and for each entry to contain: the link to the resource, a list of computing platforms that it runs on, any additional technical information which is known (such as which language it's written in), a rating for usefulness, a rating for openness (e.g., is the source code/data available), and a very brief overview/evaluation which links down to the full review.

I'm not a site designer so I'd love help with the artistic side of the site, and I'm looking towards using some kind of framework to allow rapid development of wiki type features, etc. Because I'm a Python lover I'm investigating Django first, but I'm really jumping in over my head here. I really want to spend most of the time listing and evaluating the materials, not actually developing the site. So if anyone wants to help me out with this, I'd be very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment